Welcome to the EVIL GENIUS notes page! This is a list of tips I did when playing, roughly in order.
- If it's your first run through, take Maximilian as the Evil Genius. The others are a bit more difficult.
- Don't waste your time with hotels. They do not make you a cent (they cost money to run), and they are designed to distract tourists from your base. I built a small one with a few rooms and a dance floor, and it worked for a while, after all, it was a bit fun to see the muscular guards dancing with the lady tourists, but in the end agents came in, slaughtered the Valets working there, and set the place on fire. There is a better way to deal with tourists without killing them.
- Find a list of bugs and read up on them. There's a way that a certain research item won't be researched if you move to the Volcano base too early, and thus cut out two of the potential endings. Patch the game fully.
- Don't waste space in base building. Create hallways and relatively thin buffers between rooms. Make the base like a maze and put the less important rooms (bunkers, libraries, recreation rooms) toward the outside and the more important rooms (training rooms, Inner Sanctum) toward the nucleus. The prisons should probably be somewhere in the middle.
- Don't forget to link your traps, especially if one has to be rebuilt.
- Here's a good entrance layout I drew up.
- Despite how fun it might be to slaughter every tourist and agent that finds themselves inside the base, it demoralizes your minions by having to take tons of bodybags to the freezer room, and it raises heat. That's why it's best to keep a multiple system going, as illustrated by the chart above.
- The first defense is a door set to 2. That will keep out anyone from just waltzing in, though agents will break in (don't forget to reset it), or just wonder in when someone goes in.
- If anyone actually gets in, tag them to be "psychologically weakened". This will send a Social minion in to confound them. If they're a weaker agent or tourist, they'll just walk right out with everything forgotten and no heat, since they're still alive and well.
- If you don't get to them in time or if something else happens (they often come in waves), use the trap system illustrated to send any of the agents into the fire traps. Chances are one will survive, that's a sign that you should psychologically weaken them so they don't tell anyone that their buddies just got burned alive.
- If an agent (usually a Super Agent, but better agent groups also do so) avoids/destroys the traps (including the backup), that's your time to put on the Red Alert and send in the kill squads. This is also where it comes in handy to have intruder detectors (look for advice and tips on how to set those up properly elsewhere), and fire extinguishers.
- Never take your E.G. outside if it isn't necessary. It's best if he hangs out in the Control Rooms to keep the spirits up of the grunts working there, if he hangs out in the Inner Sanctum, he's safe but useless.
- The Henchmen that I got (in order, IIRC) include Jubei (default with Max), The Matron, Col. Blackheart (the bonus character, he's in Africa), The Butcher, The Great Mesmero, and Eli Barracuda (I may have accidentally switched the last two). Avoid Red Ivan, and also remember that their special moves have to be unlocked manually.
- Once you start stealing parts to build the Doomsday Device, your heat and notoriety will shoot up, causing waves of Agents and the remaining Super Agents to show up. At this point, the game gets a lot faster and lot more difficult.
- If things get TOO tough, there's always cheating...type "humanzee" (no quotes). [Ctrl]-C will get you an influx of cash.
- John Steele is hard to keep in, and there's no in-game way to get rid of him. Until you have everything ready to go at a moments notice (and SAVE before you do), and can fire the Doomsday Device anytime, keep him out of the base at any cost. Base Mayhem is his move, and it will do tons of damage: set fires, kill minions, reset every door in the complex. Oy vey!
Back to the Evil Genius page