Stuff'd / 401 Richmond Avenue
This was one of Houston's earliest Del Taco restaurants (1978-1989) and became a Shipley Do-Nuts in 1995. Sometime between January 2021 and December 2022 it was replaced with the current tenant, which gave it the wooden fence around the roofline. (Also known as Stuff'd Wings).
MAA 510 / 510 Richmond Avenue
This apartment building was built around 2013-2014 as Post 510, in 2023 or 2024 it assumed its current name.
1400 Richmond Avenue
Newspapers mention a four-story building being demolished here in 1968 with the adults-only "1400 Richmond Off Montrose" (or simply 1400 Richmond) apartment complex being built shortly thereafter.
A newspaper article from 1970 mentions it featuring a private club called "Smuggler's Notch" on the premises. It was bought by The Menil Foundation in 1981 and renamed Richmont Square in 1983. In 2015 Menil began to tear down the apartment complex with the first ones to restore West Main Street as a through street (and the construction of Menil Drawing Institute at 1412 West Main Street). In late 2016 demolition began on the rest began and wrapped by summer 2017. The space has been green space since.
Oui Banh Mi / 1601 Richmond Avenue
This Vietnamese sandwich shop opened December 2015 or January 2016 to replace Lucky Burger (new construction). I've been told that Lucky Burger was a former root beer stand, but looking at historic records, it seems that it was previously home to a pharmacy (with other buildings in the block) from the 1930s to 1971, with the barrel moved there instead.
Houston Fire Station 16 / 1700 Richmond Avenue
This fire station building has been here since here the 1970s.
Big Tex Storage / 1810 Richmond Avenue
This large mulit-story storage facility replaced a Shell station that was demolished in 2015. The road sign for the storage unit is recycled from the Shell (which had the same address).
The 1901 Reserve / 1901 Richmond Avenue
For years, this 1960-built apartment complex did not have a name (there was an advertisement, though, advertising efficiencies). The current name and appearance is the result of the original 44-unit apartment complex getting shut down in 2025 due to it being a nuisance problem.
Shepherd Plaza / 2157 Richmond Avenue
Abandoned strip center; there hasn't been much activity here since 2009.
Yiayia's Pappas Greek Kitchen / 2410 Richmond Avenue
2410 Richmond was originally the home of Hans Peterson Nursery (1943-1987?) before it was redeveloped as Ralph & Kacoo's in 1991. It didn't even last as long as its Westheimer Road counterpart, closing in 1993. It became Cafe Pappadeaux in 1994 before officially becoming Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen a few years later. It closed in June 2020 but it was later reopened as a new concept, Yiayia's Pappas Greek Kitchen, a retool of the one-shot defunct Yia Yia Mary's Mediterranean Kitchen (which also closed June 2020).
Chevron / 2602 Richmond Avenue
As of 2011, this was a Citgo station. Around January 2019 it began its transition. The "Brake Time" name for the convenience store would come several years later.
3302 Richmond Avenue
Originally opened in 1992, this Jack in the Box is reported permanently closed as of August 30, 2025.
Metropole / 3616 Richmond Avenue
This apartment complex finished in 2006 has two main components, a 10-story building with 150 units that was a renovated office building from the 1960s and a modern four-story building with 139 units. (Source: Houston Chronicle 06/14/2005)
Tony's / 3755 Richmond Avenue
While the 3755 Richmond Avenue address was used before Greenway Plaza, from 1981 to 2001 this was Maxim's, moved from a different location. After the demise of Maxim's, it was torn down for Tony's (which also moved from a different location).
3836-3838 Richmond Avenue
The main anchor of Greenway Commons, which replaced Houston ISD's old Brutalist headquarters. Finished around 2009, it features a Costco Wholesale (3636) on the lower level and an LA Fitness (3638) on top of it. The LA Fitness doesn't occupy the whole upper level, above the Costco is mostly parking for LA Fitness.
4702 Richmond Avenue
This opened as "Hi-Neighbor Grocery Store" in 1953 and was purchased by Handee Food Marts in 1960. These stores were said to be remodeled with their stock replenished, so it may have been closed briefly. In 1969, Handee Food Marts was purchased by National Convenience Stores, and by 1971 they had converted it to Stop N Go, their main brand. In the 1990s Stop N Go began to divest or close non-gas locations under new corporate parent Diamond Shamrock. It became "Super K Food Store" (not related to Kmart). The store closed and was torn down in very early 2014, though could've closed in late 2013.
Presumably, the forest green facade of the store came from the Stop N Go era in the 1980s.
Burlington / 5125 Richmond Avenue
This was World Market from 1995 to 2020, with Burlington opening in 2024. The construction of Burlington removed an in-line space to the right of it, 5111 Richmond (the old Luggage & Leather location, which moved to 5129).
Best Buy / 5133 Richmond Avenue
Part of the redevelopment of the original 5005 Richmond, this Best Buy opened in 1995 and in 2012 the store was sub-divided to add a store-within-a-store (I believe it is connected interior-wise), Pacific Kitchen & Home.
Galleria Oaks / 5151 Richmond Avenue
The first phase of Le Chateau Royale opened in 1963 with brick and cedar shake (replaced with different siding after the Woodway Square fire of 1979) and was built by the same architects and owners of 5005 Richmond. I was initially confused at the number of units, currently it has around 222 units, but when the "second phase" was completed in the early 1960s, featured 313 units with it ultimately having 440 units. It looks like what happened was that the first phase of the 98 units was on 3201 Sage Road, which has since been long demolished (and later phases were scrapped).
The name change to Galleria Oaks occurred in 1978 when it was converted to condominiums. It has since been converted back to a regular apartment complex, though the name remained.
CVS / 5204 Richmond Avenue
This CVS (initially branded as "CVS/pharmacy") opened in 2001. It currently operates as a 24 hour store.
Smoothie King / 5300 Richmond Avenue
Smoothie King's current building has a large smoothie cup on the roof (it appears to have some sort of functional purpose, HVAC, possibly). It moved here in August 2004 from 5070 Richmond (though the Chronicle flipped the addresses).
This opened as Flyer's Island Express in 1986, a hamburger chain designed to compete with 99-cent drive-through hamburger restaurants like Checkers and by 1990 was Marathon Express, an upscale drive-through with chargrilled sandwiches and salads (with items like swordfish salad). In late 1991 it became Big Frank's Hot Dogs, and by 1998 became Miyagi Bowl. The Coffee Guy opened in time for fall 2001 but closed in December 2003. The building appears to have been expanded at some point, but that's been in place since the mid-1990s (possibly Marathon Express).
Starbucks / 5540 Richmond Avenue
The current Starbucks here opened in March 2016 and relocating from 5551 Richmond Avenue. The location operated from March 1986 to approximately January 2012. It was Taco Cabana's first location in Houston...sort of. It was rebranded to TaCasita in 1987 due to a dispute in Taco Cabana's ownership (8415 Research in Austin was the other Taco Cabana rebranded). In 1992, it was sold back to Taco Cabana, which by that time had other locations in the Houston area.
Post Oak Ice House / 5610 Richmond Avenue
Post Oak Ice House opened in spring 2019 on the site of a previous building that existed from 1978 to 2009.
The old building was originally built as Shiro of Japan, a Japanese steakhouse, back in 1978. In 1984 it closed and reopened in 1986 as Cascades Cabaret, and was briefly shut down for violating the city's topless bars ordinance (though a court reversed this). It closed anyway by 1987. In February 1991, The Shogun opened, restoring much of the features that Shiro of Japan had, including a waterfall-style fountain inside the restaurant, but lasted less than a year before closing, and would lead to a revolving door of restaurants.
1992 brought Mao-Tai, an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, 1993 brought The Show Boat in 1993, a seafood buffet with live entertainment. 1994 brought Imperial Boat, another Chinese restaurant. 1998 brought the upscale Saké sushi & seafood buffet. The chronology for the last ten years seem to be blurry. Saké is mentioned in newspaper into 2003, but also concurrently mentioned a restaurant called "Asiana" in the spot, as well as a nightclub called Club Typhoon. By the time the building was torn down in 2009 it was known as The Palace, yet that also seems to have been operating officially since 2000.
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen / 5625 Richmond Ave.
This was built as a Del Taco back in 1979; when the local Del Taco restaurants closed around 1989 it was converted to a Popeyes. (The "Louisiana Kitchen" name, of course, came much later). It seems to have received an extensive renovation (but not full rebuild) around 2015.
5888 Richmond Avenue
This was a McDonald's from around 1984 until late summer 2013. It received a renovation and from early 2015 to January 2018 it was Chinese Cafe. In 2024, the building was expanded to become "The Garden" but as of 2026 this has yet to happen (if ever?).
Houston Camera Exchange / 5900 Richmond Avenue
This place has been operating since 1995 and not only has new and used cameras but film and accessories. It wasn't particularly unique when it opened but as traditional film cameras have dwindled in market share and cell phones became viable cameras, it maintains its place as a place for photography aficionados.
Do Not Disturb / 5920 Richmond Avenue
"Ground Pat'i Restaurant" opened its third local location here in 1978. In 1986, this was Chinatown Restaurant, with another Chinese restaurant, The Richmond, opening in 1987. Richmond Arms Pub moved here in 1989. After a long run, the pub closed in early 2023 following a long decline with new ownership. In November 2024 it became its current tenant, Do Not Disturb, also known as DnD (open from 5pm to 2am).
Burger King / 5930 Richmond Avenue
Home to the Flowery (1970-1973) before becoming the first Chili's in Houston (opened 1976, lost its lease and closed around August 1997, later demolished). In 2000 it opened as Krispy Kreme (converted to Jumble's Dough Factory & Coffee Bar in 2006 before closing) and became a Burger King by the end of the year. As of this writing (early July 2026), Burger King is marked as "temporarily closed". Is it permanent? We don't know.
McDonald's / 6000 Richmond Avenue
McDonald's moved here in late summer 2013 (around August) from 5888 Richmond. From 1980 to 2010, this was the site of Magnolia Bar & Grill (the building was demolished for McDonald's).
6010 Richmond Avenue
This was a purpose-built Dave & Buster's arcade and restaurant (opened 1991), which closed during early 2020 (COVID) and never reopened.
Boulevard 61 / 6101 Richmond Avenue

This 4-story, 100-unit apartment building was completed in 2026. However, its history of a restaurant goes back a bit further.
While this information was originally featured on Numbered Exits, this originally was developed as Trail Dust Steakhouse in late 1994 (a few other Trail Dust restaurants opened around this time under the same ownership, one in the Dallas area at 2300 East Lamar Blvd. opened around the same time). The ad above with the cowboy holding a tie was one of the restaurant's gimmicks, according to Purpledevil of the HAIF (who has sadly been MIA since 2017), "they'd cut off your tie and nail it to the wall if you wore one inside"...but hopefully with permission!
It closed just over three years later and in the fall of 1998 became Wild West, a country-western club, which moved to that location. Wild West was described in a 2008 article with "mirrored saddles suspended from the ceiling like disco balls". It shuttered permanently in July 2020 and was demolished soon after. The sign remained up until the construction of the apartment building a few years later.
Centerfolds / 6166 Richmond Avenue
This was originally built as The Filling Station Restaurant & Bar in 1978 before closing in 1984. In January 1988 it reopened as the similarly-named "The Service Station", but as "gentlemen's club" instead. (The Service Station often advertised with its sister establishment, Puzzles at 1050 West Rankin Road). In 1990, this closed and was replaced with the current tenant, Centerfolds by year-end. (Does she walk? Does she talk? Does she come complete?)
6218 Richmond Avenue
This was the very first location of Joe's Crab Shack, operating here from 1991 to 2006. After it sat vacant for a few years, it was replaced by Atomic Bottle in 2010 which operated for over a decade (closing around 2022) for Hydeout Houston in late 2023, and by late 2024 it was another ultimately short-lived establishment, Midnight Cowgirls (I'm not sure it even made it to January 2025). It doesn't look like it's been anything since...
6234 Richmond Avenue
6234 Richmond, most recently (and known for) home of LaBare, was constructed as an office building in the early 1970s (announced 1972) for Jetero Corporation, which was one of the biggest developers of apartment complexes in Houston. The offices had all suite 2xx numbers, as the first level was parking.
In the mid-1980s the building was sold and to be converted into a sexually-oriented business, and was almost foiled by a case of bribery and corruption, delaying construction, with a club called Glitter open by 1989. The address also gained a very different tenant--in November 1990, it was announced it would also be the home of a Social Security office, which stayed until 1997. Meanwhile, the nightclub was but by 1991 Club 6234 by 1992. It did not appear that this was a strip club. By 1993 it was "Club Diamonds and Pearls" and "Showtime" by 1995. In 1999 it became the new home of LaBare Houston, a strip club with male strippers and dancers, relocating from a previous location. I believe LaBare took over the space used by Social Security office.
After over twenty years in business, LaBare closed after October 30, 2021.
El Capitan Seafood and Mexican Grill / 6356 Richmond Avenue
This opened in June 1984 as Tony Roma's, which closed sometime in the mid-1990s. In
May 1996 King Fish Market opened. This closed by mid-January 2005 and remained empty for almost a decade. By summer 2015 it reopened as Beaucoup Bar & Grill, which operated only for a few years before giving way to Sweetie Pie's in 2017 and by October 2019 was Neyow's Creole Cafe. It closed in the early 2020s, with the current tenant opening in 2023.
6415 Richmond Avenue
This space is currently just parking and an empty pad. The oldest reference for this was Jojo's in 1977. This closed around 1999 and reopened as "Denny's Classic Diner" in 2000, all in chrome. It was already closed by March 2008 and by 2015, demolished.
Woodlake Meadows / 8155 Richmond Avenue
These apartments were built in 1976 as "Richmond Chase South", also marketed as Richmond Chase with the same address (Richmond Chase North was built at 8162 Richmond, see "Turtle Pointe" below). While 8162 later spun off as its own complex, Richmond Chase Apartments (the "South" was at some point dropped) kept their name as late as December 2020, but by April 2022 it was called La Rosa on Richmond before becoming its current identity by summer 2024. At some point the Dunvale side of the apartments were split off and rebadged as an extension of Turtle Pointe.
Turtle Pointe Apartments / 8162 Richmond Avenue
This was built as Richmond Chase North in 1977, but the builders of the property, Jetero Management, let it slip into absolute decay. At some point in the mid-1980s, the apartments were extremely rough. According to Walter Eeds of Greystone Group, at Richmond Chase "roofs were falling in. There were machine gunnings. People were killed on the property. And things were so bad that the place was fenced and shut down on our advice." Even if Eeds overstated the decline of Richmond Chase, the apartments were closed in the summer 1987 and reopened as Galleria Club starting in 1988 with renovated facilities and units. By 1997 it was known as Turtle Pointe Apartments.
8619 Richmond Avenue
This strip mall has the same address for tenants and seemingly no suite numbers, so if there's anything before it would be hard to tell. In any case, as of January 2025, from east to west, these tenants are Al Aseel Grill and Cafe, Dunvale Smoke Shop, InsuranceNavy, Adam Beauty Spa ("Men's Salon"), Al Arabi Supermarket, Tacos La Carreta Asadero, Hyatt Dental, Suzie's Pastry Shoppe, and Cedar Bakery.
Angham / 8999 Richmond Avenue
Angham is the latest in a revolving door of restaurants following the demise of original tenant (1979-2014). There was a short-lived location of Sam's Southern Eatery that operated for less than a year, then "Wing Fuzion" in 2017, then Falafel Ala Kaifek in 2018. By early 2020 it was Abu Ali Mediterranean Cafe. Angham appears to have come in late 2024.
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen / 9287 Richmond Avenue
This Popeyes has been here since the mid-1980s but appears to have been rebuilt around 2024 (new parking lot and everything!). It also appears to have alternately used the (incorrect) address of 9245 Richmond.
Camden Stonebridge / 9850 Richmond Avenue
This 198-unit apartment complex was built around 1993-1994 as Stone Bridge Apartments, it had its current name by fall 2007.
9990 Richmond Avenue
This office building has Consulate General of The Philippines, Pillar Church HTX, and Norris Conference Centers - Houston/Westchase (among others).
MemberSource Credit Union / 10100 Richmond Avenue
This credit union was built around 2004.
Chevron / Burger King / 10410 Richmond Avenue
As of June 2024 this a Chevron with two fast food tenants, Burger King and Frenchy's Chicken. The convenience store is "Revolutions". The Frenchy's was there since 2016 and previously Cricket Wireless (it appears Frenchy's was the first food tenant there). Records indicate the gas station was there since 2004. Due to its non-food heritage, it's unlikely the Frenchy's has an interior access to the convenience store.
Twin Crab / 10465 Richmond Avenue
This opened as Red Robin in 2003, which closed sometime in late 2021 from what I can figure out with Twin Crab opening within the next year or two. It was originally the only pad site on the enormous Tinseltown USA lot (see 3600 West Sam Houston Parkway on the West Houston Parkway page.
10700 Richmond Avenue
This 1982 office building has lots of tenants inside—Chrome Hospitality Management, Law Offices of Chen & Associates, and Heights Finance, just to name a few.
11112 Richmond Avenue
This CVS (originally opened 2002) was still open in January 2025 but as of July 2026 it is closed permanently.
Alief ISD Center for Advanced Careers / 12160 Richmond Avenue
Career-oriented high school built in the late 2010s. From the mid-1990s to 2016 it was The Driving Range on Richmond (later the Golf Range on Richmond), a practice driving range.
Park West Apartments / 15155 Richmond Avenue
The last address on Richmond Avenue before it merges with Westheimer Road. This was built around 2005 and known as The Villas at West Oaks in 2011. Around 2016 it was briefly Atrium Park West, and in the early 2020s just became Park West.